Blisters are a common problem that occurs in the accurate application of coatings.
What visual appearance do blisters take?
Blisters appear as small bumps on the surface of the coating.
What probable causes are there for blisters?
- The coating has been applied too thickly
- Rapid evaporation of solvents (using a solvent that is too volatile), or increasing part temperature too quickly
What suggested solutions can solve the problem?
- Remove the coating and reapply a thinner coat
- Remove the coating, preheat the parts, then recoat and cure immediately
- Add a small amount of slow-evaporating solvent
Support programs, free testing facilities and application advice are often made available from coating manufacturers, helping prevent problems early in the process, saving time and money.
Download our Problem Solving Chart now!
For more information on problems experienced, contact your local Whitford representative.