Markets we serve:
Whitford’s dedicated global team of automotive experts have more than 50 years’ experience in solving key problems faced in the automotive industry. Offering daily support to OEM’s and their tiers, Whitford’s high-performance coating ranges bring performance improvements such as abrasion resistance, low controlled friction and long-term durability. Recent developments have produced advanced formulations that also offer environmental and process benefits on metal, plastic and rubber applications.
Metal Coating Applications
Xylan has been specified by automotive companies and their tiers, offering a fundamental solution to problems faced, at times being the first coating solution to do so:
- Xylan was the first coating created to displace cadmium and zinc as a corrosion barrier on small fasteners
- Xylan was the first coating to survive the rigors of internal diesel engines when applied to piston skirts and journal bearings
As a result of the extensive range of water- and solvent-borne resins, coupled with leading solid lubricants such as PTFE, graphite and molybdenum disulphide, countless components and assemblies are coated with Whitford’s high-performance Xylan coatings.
Whitford’s automotive team supports the marketplace with a broad portfolio of functionally engineered coatings that, even in the most demanding environments, will deliver consistently high-performance standards:
Xylan coatings Properties
Combining cutting-edge resin and solid lubricating technologies Whitford’s Xylan coatings offer engineers specific properties:
- Pistons Skirts: Reduced friction, reduced CO2 emission, increased performance, increased wear resistance for use on Piston Skirts
- HVAC Compressors: Reduced friction and improved output improving the performance of swash plates, rotors/vanes, pistons and scrolls
- Steering Columns: Low controlled friction, improved wear resistance and protection for the whole vehicle life for safety critical items, such as crash tubes, capsules, mounting brackets and cam plates
- Bearings: Reduced friction, reduced CO2 emission, ideal for ‘start-stop’ and with the possibility of using lower viscosity engine oils for use on bearing shells
Whitford is positioned to be the first choice partner for many global tiers operating to IATF 16949 and ISO/TS 14001 standards, adhering to REACH and other worldwide regulatory compliance.
If you’re looking for our applications, check them out here!